Postcards from Uganda

Friday, March 09, 2007

Can you hear me now?

One thing I've come to especially appreciate about Ugandans is their speaking voice. In most conversations, they speak softly, almost in whispers by American standards. But I know they are capable of speaking loudly when called for by the occasion. Taxi drivers and vendors holler at potential clients. When speaking in front of a church full of people without the help of microphones or speakers, one of my Ugandan colleagues busts out this loud, resonant, preacher voice. I was shocked when I first heard this other voice of his because he usually speaks so softly. As soon as he steps off the stage, his voice returns to its usual volume.

I like this, having a dimmer instead of an on/off switch.

2 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Blogger Rachelyu3@gmail.com said...

I love your pictures Karis. I can live vicariously through you. =) The sunrise was especially beautiful and the food looks amazing!

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Capell said...

I loved looking at the pictures, especially of the ones during and after the church service. As for the kids saluting the camera, I think it might be their version of the things US kids do when they are mugging for the camera. At least, that's a guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home