Postcards from Uganda

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Is this thing on?

Last night, I sang karaoke in public for the first time. It was also the first time for a couple of my friends who were with me and the predominantly Ugandan audience was very kind to us mzungu performers. Even though I've belted out "Hotel California" in the car and in the shower more times than I can count, singing it into a mic in front of a group of strangers was an unexpectedly challenging and hilarious experience. The karaoke tape did not edit out any of the guitar solos, so I spent a good 5 minutes on stage, drumming my fingers and, finally, playing air guitar to amuse my patient audience.

Would I have expected my first karaoke experience to take place in Uganda? Nedda (no). But this place, this year, has been full of such surprises.

1 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

awesome, dude! hotel california is an excellent choice since it's so internationally acclaimed. once in a taxi here, a taxi driver turned up the volume and made us sing it with him. and one of my neighbors, when drunk and playing the guitar, played HC one night, though they don't really know english - meaning HC becomes Hoten Canifonia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home