Postcards from Uganda

Thursday, April 05, 2007

20/80

Oprah or some equally reliable source once said that most women wear 20% of the clothes in their closet 80% of the time. This was certainly descriptive of what I owned and wore in America. I rotated the same 14 items for work and wore the same 6 pieces on the weekends. Any material deviations were usually involuntary (ie. bridesmaid dresses).

Almost immediately upon my arrival, I regretted not making room for the box of Korean ramen that my mom had bought for me. Instead, I filled my suitcases with clothes and underwear, about 47 pairs of socks, and gallons of sunblock and moisturizers and insect repellant.

Turns out, people here wear and sell underwear and clothes and socks! They use and sell sunblock and insect repellant! And who needs lotion when you’re virtually guaranteed to be covered in nature’s moisturizer (aka sweat) 24/7?! But Korean ramen is not a staple food here; the stores only stock cheap, insubstantial ramen. I have been told that I might score some if I track down and befriend the Korean missionaries in town, but that might take some time.

You were right, Mom. I should have listened to you. I never should’ve started shaving my legs in Jr. High and I should have made room for ramen.

Happy birthday, Mommy!

2 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Blogger Rachelyu3@gmail.com said...

lol! hahaha. I haven't started shaving my legs yet...=P

I was reading Ephesians and came across an interesting passage that may give you some comfort in being a foreigner. Ephesians 2:11-22.

Just to give you a snip bit: "For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility...Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God's people and also members of his household...in Him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by His Spirit."

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger problemchang said...

Karis I love your observations (from speaking voice to food). Your mom's b-day is 1 day before my mom's!

Your culture-shock stories remind me of the culture/communication lessons in Perspectives (which I am really enjoying right now). Thx for sharing!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home