Postcards from Uganda

Thursday, October 04, 2007

8 down, 4 to go

Before I arrived, one year seemed and sounded like quite a long time. Now... I can hardly believe eight months have passed and I'm sure I'll feel the same disbelief about the next four.

I adjusted relatively quickly to living here and, thanks to the plethora of care packages from home, I've not been in want of any essentials. ("Essentials" being broadly defined to include things like Noxzema and Korean ramen.)

But having initiated the countdown, lists are forming. The other day, while waiting in court, I scribbled the following:

Office Supplies
· Weekly/monthly planner (only daily diaries are sold here)
· Scotch tape
· Stapler/staples (gimme a Swingline!)
· Small post-its
· 3-ring binders
· Legal pads
· Copier with a feeder

I don't actually miss office supplies; I miss not having to think about office supplies. The Ugandan next to me in the court gallery watched intently as I made my list and questioned my sanity with the expression on his face. This scrutiny inspired another list:

Happy to leave behind
· Being watched like a freak
· Being treated like an ATM
· Mzungu price
· Body odor
· Insects & insect repellent
· Pox-marked roads
· Paying extra for chicken
· CHOGM construction
· Dirty mucus

Due to the strange loyalty that I've developed for this place, I felt guilty about the list above and made the list below:

Will miss
· Friends and colleagues
· Prossy (Ugandan lady whose lunch spot I frequent Monday-Friday)
· Road-side meatsicles
· Ugandan coffee
· Villages and the countryside
· Red earth
· Cash-only lifestyle
· Time to read
· Ugandan English ("You are lost!" = "Long time no see!")
· Shopping and bargaining with local vendors
· Celebrating the little things (internet access! electricity! hot water! any water!)

I plan to stay in touch with my friends and colleagues here. I plan to send them office supplies. I hope the next four months will not be the last four months.

4 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You're definitely going to have to explain the "meatcicles" thing to me. I'm imagining a frozen stick of meat! It was great to read your update as well. I still remember the time we were sitting in Versailles talking about your future. I'm so proud of all that you've done!!

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Bo said...

i love the lists.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i love that you had to compensate with a "will miss" list. i feel like i'm constantly making those lists. like "won't miss = the ubiquitous smell of vomit".

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Rachelyu3@gmail.com said...

love the lists. I love making lists myself. It's an obsessive-compulsive habit of mine. Especially as I have so much class now (more than in high school even), I often doodle lists to stay awake =X.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home