Postcards from Uganda

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A time to build (?)

I celebrated Easter on a grassy lawn in northern Kampala. Kampala Pentecostal Church hosted a single Easter celebration for its various branches and services. Literally thousands of lawn chairs were set up for the event, all facing a temporary stage that provided height and shade for the speakers and the choir. Balloons and ribbons decorated the area where we sang, clapped, fanned and danced.

During the service, the pastor announced that the church will be raising funds to build a church on the very hill upon which we sat. This was not an unusual or uncommon church announcement. Every single American church that I had ever attended on a regular basis had solicited funds for (usually, multi-million-dollar) building projects. Every single one of those churches had existing buildings that were functional and adequate for the humble business of gathering and worshipping God. But it was nevertheless deemed necessary to indebt the congregation for the next few decades for unnecessary or cosmetic improvements. For all the talk about our obligations to our less fortunate brethren overseas, these building projects were prioritized.

Sitting under the hot sun in an open field, this familiar announcement struck a different chord. I thought of a church that I had visited in my first month here; its building was basically a dirt area enclosed by sheets of aluminum. I recalled the conversation with the pastor of that church, who shared his hopes to erect a sturdier building and the struggle to raise approximately $130,000 for that purpose. Raising funds to build a building where none exists or to replace one that can hardly withstand a strong wind… Well, that sounds downright reasonable.

So far, my transient lifestyle has coincidentally moved me out of town right about the time building projects were initiated. Thus, I’ve been afforded the luxury of being critical about building projects without the responsibility of voicing my objections. But I know I’ll settle somewhere someday. And when a seemingly unnecessary building campaign comes my way, I wonder if I will have the strength of conviction to speak aloud my objections. Or will I stay quiet because I’m comfortable, because I want the fancy new things, because I want to get along, not move along? Will I convince myself that resistance is futile, acquiesce and hope for the best - hope that perhaps my church is the exception and the proposed improvements are somehow essential, that perhaps this rich man won’t be held to account for the Lazarus left wanting at his gate?

5 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Easter Karis!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger JonCWu said...

Greetings, Karis, from Evergreen-LA. Great to hear how you celebrated the Resurrection with our Ugandan brothers and sisters.

Appreciate the chance to catch a glimpse of everyday life and the reminders of the simple pleasures that God gives to us each day.

We're doing well here in LA. Miss you, but are totally excited to see what you are learning, how God is shaping you, and the experience to advance biblical justice and shalom.

Warmly,

Jonathan

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger Capell said...

Hello Karis!

You know, I wonder that as well. My church here in San Diego is simultaneously trying to pay off a mortgage on the land purchased 20 (!) years ago, and build a new sanctuary--even though we have a fine multipurpose building at present, and I think we should make sure it is full on a consistent basis before focusing our efforts on building another building. Just my two cents. ;-)

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Karis,

Thanks for keeping us updated on your African adventure. Looks like you are living and learning a lot while out there.

Hope you had a wonderful Easter as I spent mine in a far off land as well, not quite Uganda but am in Singapore for two months for work.

We'll be praying for your work there!

Tom

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Rachelyu3@gmail.com said...

i struggle with the same questions in my desire to do missions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home